Gochujang Chicken Rice Bowl
Gochuhang Chicken Rice Bowl. Slow cooked chicken pieces simmered in a spicy Korean chilli sauce with Gochujang, gochugaru and honey. Served in a bowl of seasoned sushi rice with pickles and vegetables. A recipe which is really easy to put together but tastes and looks very impressive. Provided are instructions to cook the chicken either in the slow cooker or in a pan. Cooking chicken chunks in a slow cooker makes them tender, soft and succulent so it is recommended using the slow cooker method if you have one. This is a delicious midweek dinner dish to make in a hurry.
The main ingredient in this Korean inspired recipe is gochujang, a fermented chilli paste. It is not really interchangeable and thankfully is becoming more easy to find in supermarkets. Gochjuang is hot but the fermentation also means it has a very unique, umami taste to it, like an aged chilli flavour. Use up the remaining gochujang in Kimchi Pancakes 김치전, Korean Chicken Stir Fry or Korean Fried Chicken (Dakgangjeong, 닭강정).
- This dish could also be made with cauliflower or tofu for a vegetarian alternative.
- If you want more indulgence, use my recipe for Korean Fried Chicken (Dakgangjeong, 닭강정) as the chicken topping.
- Use pretty much any vegetables and pickles as toppings. Kimchi, red cabbage, pickled chillies or spinach would all work well.
- Leave out the gochugaru for less heat
- Gochujang is important in this Gochujang Chicken Rice Bowl recipe but if it can’t be found then use another chilli paste.
- It is optional, but it is highly recommended to use Angus and Oink Korean Rub in this dish.
- To buy gochujang, it is recommended to use Sun Hee.
Get in touch
Any questions about this Gochujang Chicken Rice Bowl? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Instagram.
Other recipes to try:
- Slow Cooked Korean Beef Brisket Rice Bowl
- Kimchi and Wild Garlic Fried Rice
- Katsu Chicken Burger
- Sesame Duck with Hoisin Noodles
- Honey Chilli Chicken
Gochujang Chicken Rice Bowl
- 2 Chicken Breasts Chopped into large chunks
- 3-5 tbsp Gochujang Chilli Paste Depending on how hot you like it
- 1 tbsp Gochugaru Chilli Powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 200 ml Chicken stock
- 2 Carrots Grated or spiralized
- 1 tbsp Angus and Oink Korean Rub (optional)
- Rice Vinegar
- 75 g Edamame beans
- 1/4 Cucumber Seeds removed and sliced into half moons
- 2 Spring onions Finely sliced
- Black and white sesame seeds, for garnish
- 200g Sushi rice
- 2 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp Caster sugar
- Salt and Pepper
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add the diced chicken breast, gochujang chilli paste, chilli powder, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and chicken stock to a pan and cook on low for 4-6 hours until the chicken is really tender. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the sauce to a frying pan and reduce until thick and syrupy. Stir the chicken back into the sauce.
- Add the sesame oil to a pan over a medium high heat. Add the diced chicken and stir fry until browned (around a minute on each side) Add the gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and stir until the chicken is coated. Add the chicken stock and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Simmer the chicken for around 20 minutes until cooked through. If needed, remove the chicken and reduce the sauce over a medium high heat until thick and syrupy. Add the chicken back into the sauce and stir to coat.
Rice and Toppings
- Wash the sushi rice by adding it to a bowl of cold water and massaging the rice. Drain and repeat 3 or 4 times until the water is clear. Soak the rice in the water for at least 20 minutes and up to one hour.
- Drain the rice and add to a pan with 260ml boiling water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to steam for a further 10 minutes. Pour the rice into a large shallow dish and stir through the rice vinegar, mirin, caster sugar and a pinch of salt.
- For the quick pickled carrots, either spiralize or grate the carrot. Add to a bowl with a tbsp vinegar, a pinch of salt and Korean seasoning if using. Leave to sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Steam the edamame beans for a couple of minutes until soft.
- To serve, add half of the rice to two bowls and top with the gochujang chicken, the pickled carrots, the edamame beans, the sliced spring onions and sliced cucumber. Sprinkle over some sesame seeds if using and serve right away.