Thai Spicy Satay Chicken
Thai Spicy Satay Chicken recipe. Creamy and rich satay chicken with a kick of Thai chilli. Served with Jasmine Rice and a Thai Herb Salad.
The recipe gives options to cook this Thai Spicy Satay Chicken either in the slow cooker or in a pan. Therefore, this means it can be a quick dinner on the table within forty five minutes, or it can be put in a slow cooker and forgotten about for a few hours. Either way, the dish is a nutty satay chicken with a really good kick of chilli heat. Slow cookers with saute functions, such as this one are great for this dish as the chilli, garlic and ginger can be fried first. Likewise, the chicken can be browned before all the other ingredients are added. If using the slow cooker, it will be ready within three hours. In the pan, the ingredients can be fried first and then simmered with a lid for around thirty minutes.
The Thai Herb Salad is great in this dish as it is really fresh against the creamy satay chicken. Fresh mint and fresh coriander is used as the base. Salted cashew nuts, red onion, spring onion and crunchy celery is added before the salad is tossed with a dressing made of fish sauce, lime juice and sugar.
- Use coconut milk instead of chicken stock, or a combination of both, for a creamier sauce.
- Use this recipe for the perfect rice every time.
- Thai supermarkets often sell fresh curry pastes in the fridge section.
- Use any vegetables instead of chicken. Butternut squash would work well.
Other recipes to try:
- Pad Kra Pao – Thai Stir Fried Pork with Basil
- Thai Chicken with Cashew Nuts
- Vegetable Thai Green Curry
- Pad Thai (ผัดไทย)
- Thai Massaman Steak Sharing Board
- Sriracha Honey Salmon Noodles
Thai Spicy Satay Chicken
For the Thai Spicy Chicken Satay
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 4 cloves Garlic Finely chopped
- 1 thumb sized Ginger Finely chopped
- 1 Red chilli Finely Chopped
- 2 tbsp Red Thai Curry Paste (use more or less depending on how hot you want it)
- 2 heaped tbsp Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsp Jimmy's Sate Sauce optional, but really good, see link above
- 4 Kaffir Lime Leaves
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Palm sugar Or use honey
- 300( ml Chicken stock You might need more or less, depending on how saucy you want it
- Sliced red chilli, chopped peanuts and sliced lime leaves For garnish
- Jasmine Rice to serve
For the Thai Herb Salad
- 1 bunch Coriander leaves Roughly chopped
- 1 bunch Mint leaves Roughly chopped
- 1 Celery stick Finely sliced (or use cucumber)
- 2 Spring onions Finely sliced
- 1 handful Cashew nuts
- 1/4 Red onion Finely sliced
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 Lime Juiced
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- The chicken can be cooked in a pan, or in the slow cooker. For the slow cooker, add all the chicken ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on high for three hours.
- If cooking in a pan, fry the garlic, chilli and ginger for a few minutes over a high heat and then add the chicken breasts to seal. Add the remaining ingredients (you might not need all the chicken stock) add a lid and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- For the Thai Herb Salad, stir together the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar for the dressing. Toss together the remaining ingredients and dress just before serving.
- Serve the chicken topped with a garnish of sliced red chilli, sliced lime leaves and crushed peanuts. Add a handful of Thai Herb Salad and some jasmine rice, on the side. Enjoy!