Sweet Potato, Feta and Chilli Vegetarian Pie
Sweet Potato, Feta and Chilli Vegetarian Pie recipe. Soft sweet potato mixed with salty feta and fiery chilli make for a delicious meat free pie filling. The crispy filo pastry adds texture to this Vegetarian Pie recipe.
This recipe for Sweet Potato, Feta and Chilli Pie is easy and can also be made in advance, served hot or cold.
The recipe starts with cooking the peeled sweet potato chunks. You could roast the sweet potato, for extra flavour, but in this recipe the sweet potato is microwaved for ease. Start by chopping the sweet potato into large chunks and place in a bowl with a halved lemon. Cover with cling film and cook for 10 minutes until soft and fragrant with lemon.
Roughly mash the sweet potato with feta, red chilli and spring onions to make a delicious filling. The pie is made with filo pastry, for an extra crunchy but light pie crust. Drape buttered filo pastry sheets into a cake tin, fill with the sweet potato mix and then cover with filo pastry. Bake for 25 minutes until crisp and golden. Served hot or cold, this is a delicious Vegetarian Pie to add to your weekly meals.
- Roast the sweet potato chunks for extra flavour.
- Use soft goats cheese instead of feta cheese.
- Butternut squash would also work instead of sweet potato.
- Serve with a fresh green salad or some green vegetables.
- A spring form cake tin will be the easiest way to remove this pie from the tin.
Get in Touch
Queries about this recipe? Get in touch with me at email@example.com
More Recipes To Try
- Classic Fish Pie
- Individual Chicken, Leek and Pancetta Pies
- Luxury Filo Fish Pie
- Bean and Sweet Potato Burger with Parmesan Crisps
- Sea Bass with Feta and Chilli Sweet Potatoes
- Thai Salmon Fishcakes, Coconut Sweet Potato Chips and Soy Dipping Sauce
Sweet Potato, Feta and Chilli Pie
- 650 g Sweet Potatoes Peeled
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Red Chilli Finely Chopped
- 2 Spring Onions Finely sliced
- 150 g Feta Cheese Crumbled
- 1 pack Filo Pastry Around 6-8 sheets
- Salt and Pepper
- 50 g Butter Melted
- Cut the sweet potato into large, even sized chunks. Add to a large bowl with the halved lemon. Cover the bowl with cling film and microwave for 10 minutes. The sweet potato should be soft and cooked all the way through. If it is not, give it another few minutes in the microwave.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Squeeze the lemon juice into the sweet potato and roughly mash with a fork. Add the chopped chilli, sliced spring onion and feta cheese and roughly mix to just combine. Season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Lay the filo sheets on a clean work surface and cover with a clean, damp cloth to ensure they don’t dry out as you work. Brush a 20cm cake tin with butter.
- Layer six sheets of filo in the bottom of the dish. Between each sheet, brush generously with the melted butter. Overlap each sheet by about 45 degrees, ensuring that half of each sheet covers the base while the other half overhangs the dish.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the pie base. Fold the overhanging filo over the filling to enclose it and brush with more butter.
- Bake in the hot oven for 25-30 minutes, until the filo pastry is crisp and golden. This vegetarian pie is delicious hot or cold.