Four Cheese and Gnocchi Bake – rich, creamy, full of cheese and a touch of truffle make this a delicious gnocchi dish. I have used cheddar, parmesan, gruyere and mozzarella in this gnocchi bake, but any combination of cheese will work. I’ve also made this recipe easier by using shop-bought gnocchi. If you fancied making your own, try out my recipe in Gnocchi alla Sorrentina . I have used truffle ingredients from Truffle Hunter in this recipe.
Difficulty Level: Rookie
- 30g butter (or use Truffle Butter)
- 30g plain flour
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400ml milk
- 100g each of cheddar, Parmesan and gruyere – all grated
- 100g mozzarella, cut into chunks
- 500g gnocchi
- 1 thick slice of stale bread, whizzed to breadcrumbs
- Extra Parmesan, for the topping
- Truffle oil
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir in the garlic and flour. Cook for 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Gradually add the milk, continually stirring, until combined. Bring to a simmer and stir until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the grated cheeses to the sauce along with a couple tablespoons of truffle oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the gnocchi according to packet instructions. Drain and steam dry for a minute or so.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium high heat. Add a splash of truffle oil and fry the gnocchi until golden brown.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Add the gnocchi and the mozzarella to the cheese sauce and put into a serving dish.
- Use a food processor, blender or grater to make breadcrumbs from the slice of bread. Stir through a couple tablespoons of grated Parmesan, salt and pepper. Place on top of the gnocchi and drizzle some more truffle oil on top.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown on top and bubbling at the sides.