Prawn Katsu Bao Burgers. Japanese food is so delicious and this recipe is no exception. Japanese inspired homemade prawn patties flavoured with ginger, garlic and spring onion are coated in crispy panko breadcrumbs and sesame seeds. They are then fried them until crisp on the outside and cooked through and soft in the middle. The Prawn Katsu Burgers are served in a steamed bao along with spicy chilli mayo and crunchy cabbage. These are similar in flavour to a good prawn toast with the crunch of the sesame seeds and sweet prawn filling. I love prawns and probably have them at least once a week, and this Japanese inspired recipe is a good one! If you liked my Prawn Katsu Bao Burgers then try out one of my other favourite prawn recipes, Coconut Prawn Tacos with Scotch Bonnet Mango Salsa or Garlic Prawn and Tomato Spaghetti.
- The prawn patties can be chilled for up to 24 hours if you want to get ahead. You can also mix together the mayo and chilli sauce in advance.
- Add a tablespoon of hot sauce to the prawn patty mixture if you want them to have some chilli heat
- This would be great served with sweet potato wedges
- Serve in brioche buns instead of bao if you can’t find them
- Homemade bao buns are easy if you fancy making a recipe, try this one
- Serve the crispy prawn patties without a bun as a great starter or canape.
- For more Japanese katsu inspired recipes, try out my Katsu Curry, Katsu Salmon, Coconut rice and Sweet Chilli Sauce or Katsu Chicken Burger
If you make my Prawn Katsu Bao Burgers or any of my other recipes, I would love to see. Contact me with photos or any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Instagram (@documenting_my_dinner)
Prawn Katsu Bao Burgers
- 200 g raw prawns
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- Teaspoon grated ginger and garlic
- Tablespoon cornflour
- 1 egg
- Salt and white pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Packet of 5 Bao I got from M&S
- 1/4 White cabbage shredded
- 1 lemon
- Chilli sauce sriracha works well
- Finely sliced spring onion for serving
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Place half the prawns in a food processor with the spring onion. Pulse a few times until it is a rough paste.
- Add the cornflour, Ginger, garlic and the egg white. Blitz until just combined.
- Finely chop the remaining prawns and stir through the mixture with a teaspoon each of salt and white pepper.
- Using wet hands (the mixture is sticky) form the mixture into 6 patties.
- Put a large handful of panko breadcrumbs and the sesame seeds on a plate.
- Coat each patty in the breadcrumbs and seeds. Cover with cling film and chill until ready to cook.
- Heat a couple of cm of sunflower oil in a large frying pan. Heat to 180C. Fry the patties on each side for around 2-3 minutes until golden brown all over, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile finely slice the white cabbage and mix with the juice of 1/2 lemon and a little salt.
- Make the sauce by mixing together about 5 tablespoons of mayo with 2 tablespoons sriracha (more if you like it hot) and a tablespoon of ketchup.
- The bao I bought just needed 1 minute in the microwave.
- Assemble the Prawn Katsu Bao Burger by adding a little cabbage to the bun, then a Prawn Katsu patty and a little sauce on top. Finish with some sliced spring onion.